Past three years, I have been closely working with management, saw managers come and go and learnt how to be and how not to be from them.
The Good Manager:
· He knows how to delegate work to you. And you look forward to working for him. Why?
· He helps out when you need help. He stands by your side at all times
· Plans, Tracks and Reports tasks effectively.
· Does not do micro management. Gives you space.
· Encourages you in even small achievements.
· Is the first to cheer, when you get credit.
· Cares about your work-life balance
· Ensures that you learn and provides you an opportunity where ever he can.
· Resolves Conflicts within team.
· Now, you know the reason, why you look forward to working for him.
The Bad Manager:
· He says that Project Management is all about delegation. As long as no one bothers, the task is forgotten.
· Even Project Management tasks are delegated. I wonder, why his salary didn’t get delegated though.
· Start of his conversation would be ‘I wouldn’t take much of your time as I don’t like my time being wasted’.
· If you receive credit, he checks with you on whether there was any hidden perk that you offered to higher-ups.
· Always says that you are a 8-5 person. Even when you work on Saturdays.
· Avoids Talking to Senior Management, customers about anything.
· Creates conflict between team members.
· Learning? What is it?
· Delegates, Discards, Dozes off.
I had both kinds and both have moved on. I wish to be like the former and hope that I don’t get to meet the latter in future.